Tuesday, September 6, 2011

September 6, 2011

Radiation is going good...I'm about a week in and I haven't really had any side effects too bad. Dr. Burt said that since I'm only getting 18 treatments I really shouldn't have too bad of a time. Really, just being tired will be about it. I'll get a break today since I'm having surgery, but they'll start back up again tomorrow...she said they'll just wheel me down in my hospital bed, lol!

Sadie had her surgery about a month ago and she's doing really well. It's nice to FINALLY have something where I know what to expect...although I wish it wouldn't have been her who had to go thru it. She's been a super-trooper though! I'll be in the hospital for 2 days and then I'll be home recovering for 9 weeks before I go back to work. I'll go in once a week for 6 weeks to get my tissue expanders filled and then they will just sit for 6 weeks before I go back in to have the permanent implants put in. I'm not sure what the recovery will be like for the latissimus dorsi flap on my back (where they are "borrowing" the skin, tissue and muscle to build my new boob), but hopefully it won't be too bad. Nothing like not being able to sleep on your front OR your back...maybe I'll learn to sleep standing up! :o)

So on a happy note...for those of you who haven't heard, I've been accepted to go to the 'Women Rock for the Cure' young survivors retreat! It's a weekend long retreat in Nashville, TN where you get a chance to relax, get pampered, meet other young survivors, go to seminars/speakers all in a gorgeous mansion set in the mountains. Ohh...and it's all expenses paid! That is Sept. 23 - 25, so I'll only be 16 days post-op, but my doctor said I'd be OK to fly. I'll have to wear some beautiful and highly trendy compression sleeves, however I think it'll totally be worth it!

Well, I'm off to my surgery...if anyone wants to come sing 'Happy Birthday' to me in the hospital tomorrow (preferably while wearing cone head birthday hats, hee, hee) I'm totally up for that! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment