Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 21, 2010

Today was my first day back at work in over a month...I was afraid I'd forget how to get there! :o)

I had my first round of the second group of chemo last Tuesday and all things considered it didn't go too bad. They decided to go with Taxol (the industry standard) instead of the "newer" drug which was fine with me...that's the one I was leaning towards as well. I was pretty nauseous the day that I received chemo, but by the next day it was gone completely. Since the last chemo made me wanna barf pretty much 24/7 that was a much needed relief! Also, I haven't lost any hair with this one and actually its starting to grow back! The doctor said that most people don't have hair loss on Taxol so that is also a huge relief...I was starting to look a little funny with all my bald patches. :o)  Really, the two main complaints I have are that I get really bad headaches and really bad joint/bone pain. The headaches are by far the worst and seem to come and go without any real warning and the joint/bone pain seems to be the worst in my legs and knees. I'll be walking down the stairs and my legs just give out...it's awesome. I went and had a massage last week, which REALLY helped, but I think I would need to get them regularly in order to see a long-term difference. And unfortunately at $70 a pop I don't think that will be happening anytime soon! It really irks me that insurance will pay for physical therapy and chiropractors but they won't pay for massages when its for a medical condition...VERY annoying! OK - that's my rant for the day. :o)

Speaking of my hair...I look much more like an army chick (short buzz cut) and much less like a Barbie doll who got on the wrong side of a 2-year old! Also, its growing back in soft like normal hair and not "crunchy" like it was when I was on the AC chemo. It was really gross; what little hair I had left felt like it had been singed by a hot poker. I lay in bed and just rub my head, it's pretty ridiculous actually! LOL!

My arm is doing better and better every day and my mobility is coming back, slowly but surely. The incision is pretty well healed, but its still a little tender to the touch. Really, the only time it bothers me is when I flip on my right side in my sleep.

I'm really looking forward to Christmas...I anticipate that watching Alex tear into his gifts and be super happy will make all my discomfort just melt away! I probably won't post again until after the holidays, so for those of you I won't see or talk too have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment